Disability Claims


1. Compensation is a claim for official recognition of a medical condition that was treated while on active duty or within a presumptive period after leaving active duty. Compensation provides monetary monthly disability payments and free medical treatment for service connection conditions. (Ref: VA Form 21-526EZ)

2. Pension is a program for war time veterans only, who are totally disabled, not related to military service, or are age 65 or older and have a below the poverty level annual family income. The Pension Program provides a monetary benefit that is the difference between the federally defined poverty limit and the eligible veterans annual family income. The application for either pension program is a 21-527EZ.

Disability Claim Types

This benefit provides compensation for service connected conditions including Diabetes II, any one of several cancers from Vietnam service or radiation exposure, Hepatitis C from Vietnam service, or any medically diagnosed condition that was diagnosed during the period of active duty. Certain medical or psychiatric conditions that were diagnosed years after leaving active duty may also lead to viable claims. Totally disabled veterans with low income and wartime period of service may be eligible for veterans pension compensation under this claim benefits in certain cases.

All veterans with an honorable discharge are entitled to receive no cost internment in a National Veterans Cemetery. Mortuary charges will be paid by the veterans family or friends. Please view VA Form 21P-530.

Surviving spouse or children of a deceased veteran may be entitled to receive benefits if the veteran’s death occurred in service, when a veteran dies of a service-connected disability, or in certain circumstances if a veteran rated totally disabled from service-connected disability dies from non-service-connected conditions. Please view VA Form 21-534EZ.

You may be entitled to receive VA Education Benefits under Chapter 30, Chapter 32 or Chapter 1606. Please view VA Form 22-1990.

Character of discharge or service is an important part of determining basic eligibility to access benefits administered by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. In general, to receive benefits and services under the Veterans Administration, anyone who served in the United States Armed Services must have a character of discharge or service that is determined to be under other than dishonorable conditions. If you have questions about basic eligibility, please visit the Orange County Veterans Service Office. Please view the Benefits Based on Character Service chart.

To request military medical records, medals, or discharge documents complete Form SF-180. Requested documents will be mailed via hard copy files and / or microfiche records. For more information regarding military discharge documents, medical records and medals, visit the National Personnel Records Center. Please view Standard Form 180.